Ring of Fire is an exciting game which is played with alcohol and playing cards. It is great for hangouts, reunions, bachelor parties, sleepovers, and the like. This PartyJoys article provides all the instructions on how to play the Ring of Fire drinking game.
The game has many names―Ring of Fire, Kings, King’s Cup, Donut, California Kings, Circle of Death, Oval of Fire, besides others. A group of at least 4 – 5 players is recommended to make the game full of great fun. You need a pack of plastic-coated playing cards, a big glass or a mug, a sheet with the game rules on it so that everyone is aware of all the rules, and most importantly, some nice alcohol. A variety of drinks would only add to the fun, rather than just having the same drink for everyone to sip on.
Now getting straight to the point, here are all the Ring of Fire rules and instructions needed to play this cards cum drinking game.
- Sit in a circular arrangement with a hollow in the middle.
- Take the empty glass or mug and place it in the center of the hollow. This is the KING’s cup.
- Now, shuffle and spread the playing cards face-down around the king’s cup.
- Ask everyone to choose their drinks and ensure that everyone has a sufficient amount.
- Pass the rule sheet to each player and make it a point that everyone understands the rules.
- Start the game either in a clockwise or counter-clockwise way, but make sure to continue in the same format throughout.
- A drink is a regular sip.
- Every card has a meaning. Each player has to pick a card and act as per the corresponding meaning.
- Each card drawn has to be kept aside; it shouldn’t be put back with the other cards.
- Simple enough? Now it’s time to get started!
(Click on the grid above to print.)
- Introducing variations in drinks makes this game fun, as the one who draws the last KING has to drink a mixture of different drinks, which could sometimes taste terrible.
- The game becomes more fun when the group is bigger, and when two decks of cards are introduced instead of one.
- The jokers in the deck could be used to devise new rules and variations just to add to the fun.
- One could make variations in the rules as he/she likes, but in the end, the game should be great fun and the group should really enjoy it.
- The punishment for breaking any rule is a penalty drink.
It is very important to make the rules clear in the beginning itself, as the rules are the ‘make or break’ factor in this game. Since this is a drinking game, it could lead to greater levels of intoxication. Make proper arrangements for you and your friends who wish to travel back home after the party. If the party is at a friend’s house, one could always stay back for the night. You could also keep some snacks along with the drinks, as drinking on an empty stomach leads to faster intoxication. Have fun and stay safe!