There are several unwritten rules and etiquette for housewarming party that should be followed by guests and hosts. Here is a guide on the ideal housewarming etiquette and tips.
Housewarming is a party organized on the occasion of moving into a new residence, or sometimes, even on renovation or remodeling of one’s home. In most of the cases, the owner of the house is the host for the party. But, sometimes, friends and close ones also offer to host a housewarming party as an honor. A housewarming is usually an informal affair, a sort of get together. However, there are certain rules and etiquette that one needs to follow even in an informal party. Here are housewarming party tips and etiquette for both, the guest and the host.
Etiquette for the Host
- One of the most important etiquette for the host to follow is never to organize a party in an empty house. It is better to plan a housewarming once you organize your home and settle in.
- It is recommended to send formal housewarming invitations (1 – 2 weeks prior) with clear directions given, as people will be coming to your home for the first time. Phone call invitations are a total no-no.
- You can ask one of the family members to be at the door to welcome the guests and another to give a tour through the home. Remember, a housewarming is generally held for a smaller group of people.
- Most of the time, housewarming consists of a tour around the house, followed by scrumptious and light snacks. However, you can plan some party games to have an enjoyable time too.
- Potluck or themed party are some popular ideas and themes for the party.
- Cheese platter, cheese and wine, falafel platter, grilled chicken, toasted baguette with cheese and meat, mini burgers, cold salads, stuffed mushrooms, quiche, croquettes, etc., are some party food ideas.
- People prefer giving gifts on a housewarming party even when the host prefers ‘no gifts’.
Etiquette for the Guest
- Arriving on time and in an appropriate attire is the most important etiquette for any party. As a housewarming is an informal affair, do not overdo with your attire and appearance, keep it casual.
- Do not bring pets along without the permission of the host. Also make sure to not to cause any inconvenience to the neighbors while parking.
- Although the host has mentioned ‘no gifts’ on the invitation, it is better to carry a simple gift. Housewarming gifts include things that are required for the household, a bottle of wine or champagne, decorative candles, silverware, food or drink gift baskets, etc.
- It is advisable to confirm with the host before thinking of getting a dish for the party.
- If you take a date or a partner along, introduce him/her first to the host before beginning your small talk. It is also recommended to try to interact with other guests rather than sticking with the host all the time.
- Commenting on the house, interiors, decorations, arrangement, etc., should be on a priority during or after the tour to the new place.
- As a guest, you can even offer to help the host in arrangements, as a housewarming is often an informal party.
- Gift the host discreetly and quietly. You can even leave it with the other gifts on the table.
- Do not forget to wish the host and compliment again when you are leaving.
These were some basic, yet important housewarming party rules for guests and hosts. Follow them and you will be a wonderful host, and definitely a welcomed guest.